Thursday 23 July 2015

Thoughts on silence

Once upon a seaside walk I happened across a towering rock that sheltered me, just for a moment. I had been unaware of the howling wind and tide as I walked along the cliff edge. But now I was hit by a blank of silence, as if I had blundered into an invisible isolation chamber.

I love you. I have heard that phrase so many times from other so-called lovers. They said it, and yet I realise they never really did. All those times before were empty chimes – like a doorbell ringing but no-one is there. But now I understand. Now I hear your declarations of love in the silence.

I love you.
How often have I heard that phrase
Drifting from the lips of so-called lovers?
They said it and I thought I heard
And yet I never really did.
Perhaps I have always been deaf.
Or they never really spoke.
But you do. 

I can hear your declarations of love in the silence. 

10/2/2011

No comments:

Post a Comment