Sunday 5 November 2017

Not NaNo 3 November 5

I’ve missed a couple fo days beause we’ve been away so I have some making up to do. I’m not going to lie and say that I did this on the right day. I admit I’m a couple of days late but at this stage I have the rest of the month to make up. I probably won’t till next weekend, because I’m not sure what time I’ll be home every day. I took my laptop to work to do stuff at lunchtime on Friday but it didn’t happen. Oddly I felt insecure about doing it. I intended to spend an hour doing my own thing but it didn’t seem to work. Maybe I’ll try again this week. I just need to find somewhere that I can sit on my own without anyone to interrupt me, but I have no idea where that could be. I thought about the car, but it seems rude somehow.

Anyhow, I have some writing to do to keep up to date – or more accurately to catch up with where I should be.  I guess I’ll have to start somewhere. I was going to talk about my childhood and how I got into this word smith thing in the first place.

I was very young when my parents first decided to teach me to read. I must have been about three because it was a long time before I started school. My Dad thought that reading was important. He read every day. His job was sedentary and most of the time he didn’t actually do much. He had to be at his post in case something happened, but for huge parts of his eight hour shifts it didn’.t. So he read. Sometimes it was a novel. Sometimes he read things he’d read before. Captain Blood was a favourite and he probably read it twenty or thirty times that I knew of, not to mention others before I was born. It was one of his favourite films too, with Errol Flynn in the title role.

He was fond of historic navel stuff too, but he also read classics. He felt he’d missed out at school. He was forced to leave at 14 and went to work on te land. His family weren’t too bothered about learning an were more bothered about earning a living and making sure everyone was fed. Probably to do with their backgrounds. No-one in my history has been rich. I guess I don’t fully understand the need to earn all the time. I’ve always had a reasonable amount of money in the bank. We had to watch what we were spending from time to time but we were never really poor. We always ate well, if not excessively. (Even though we’ve all quite big!) We went places, we did things, and we were surrounded by books.

There was a monthly magazine called Argosy that we had delivered regularly. It had short stories by well known and lesser known authors. It was paperback so nobody was too worried about damaging it, and piles of them were kept on the side of the bath where mother could read them while she soaked for hours on end, avoiding the films that Dad used to watch. Captain Blood wasn’t one of her favourites. Of course, just because books were all around me didn’t mean that I could read them instinctively. I was taught to read, ot with children’s books, but with what was around me. For example, my parents were avid crossworders. Some of my earliest memories are of Dad reading the clues: “Is it made straight for the hive? Seven letters, ends in e.”  It’s beeline, of course, and I can remember early on asking why the answers were what my parents wrote in to the grid.

I  can remember sitting with my dad while he read out each clue, running his finger below the words as I watched. Eventually he started asking me to read the words to him. It was a faltering start but I made progress.  So I learned some very strange words very early on. I mean, have you read crossword clues?  They make no sense in a conventional way. So I had to be able to work out the actual words. There are no hints within a crossword clue about what the next word will be.
For very long words Dad taught me how to break down each one into smaller components so I could say them out loud. I probably had no idea what the words meant. Such as convalescence, for example. I could break it down into con val es cence and say it to me Dad and he’d tell me I had it right. And then he’d explain to me what the word meant. But mother would work out the answer to the clue and then we’d go through why it was so.

That’s how I had such a huge vocabulary by the time I started school. I can remember the first day, being asked to read a list of words to my teacher. Far from Janet and John, I had lots of very long words at my fingertips. Did I know what any of them meant? No. But I could read them and pronounce them, so it was decided that I had a reading age of about 10. And by the time I left primary school at the ripe old age of 10 they said it was 16 (which was as far as the measurements go. That just meant ‘grown up’.

I’ve gone off track a bit here. I’m supposed to be talking about my childhood writing, it’s just that reading came first. I had two primary schools, and I don’t remember much about the first one. I can picture it and I know where I had to walk to get there, but there’s not much about my life there that’s stuck i my mind. The second one, though, that’s different. I had some corking teachers who decided to support my skills, rather than just record them.

We were taught all kinds of complicated things under simple headings. Under the guise of ‘how things began’ my vocabulary grew even further as words like Ordovician and trilobite were added to it. As part of ‘seashore life’ I learned Laminaria saccharina and Patella vulgata. (That’s a sort of seaweed, and the common limpet, if you want to know.)  It soon became obvious to my teachers that I had skills in English, both reading and writing. A wonderful, inspiring teacher called Mr Childs encouraged us to take part in writing contests and I can remember one that was run by the chocolate manufacturer Cadbury. I wrote a story about a chocolate bar that didn’t want to be eaten, so it ran away. It had a very bad time of things as a result and ended up cold, wet and miserable after being swept through a storm drain. In the process its wrapper fell off and it was depressed and lonely when a dog came along and ate it, so it realised its true destiny.

Of course I’ve learned since then that the dog would have been very ill as a result, but I didn’t know that when I was a kid. It seemed like a good tale, and the Cadbury judges must have agreed because I won a first prize certificate and a huge tin of chocolate things. I was told I was imaginative. These days they call it creative, but I’m not sure what to call it. I suspect I just like iving in a world where everything eventually works out for the best.  I’ve always thought my version of the world is better than the real one.  In fact I still have an active fantasy life. I sometimes see people walking past me and create whole back stories for them to suit what they’re wearing, how they walk, what they are carrying. I imagine where they are going and what they plan to do. I create whole stories in my head about their lives and what they do. The worse I feel the more creative I am about their stories. It’s amazingly cheering.

Then there was Mister Wilson.  He was the headmaster and he was a great believer in expanding children’s horizons. He had a theory that, if you’d learned to walk, talk, interact with people and generally live by the time you’ve five why should you slow down the rate of learning? So he felt that kids should hear the classics, and try to understand what they were about and try to understand where the story was going. If you hear the start of a story you should be able to predict where the tale is going. Or alternatively you can create a whole new direction for it and make something totally different happen. So he would read us the first half of something then make us write our own ending for it, in the right style, even if it was poetry.

I remember one day he read us the first half of the poem Lochinvar. “Oh young Lochinvar is come out of the west, through all the wide nation his steed was the best” or something like that. The tale is a proper story of romance and heroism in which Lochinvar eventually rescues his love from an imminent marriage to the wrong man. Sure enough, I wrote the correct ending because, like I said, I always want the world to have a happy ending!  So Lochinvar gets to ride away on his fine steed with his lady love.


So my creative writing was encouraged early. My teachers wanted us to be imaginative and to write as often as possible. And I was happy to take part in it. By the age of 10 (which is when I moved on to secondary school ) I was recognised as being ahead of my school pals in writing, spelling, reading, using words. I was already a writer and already wanting to do it for a living when I grew up.  At the age of 10 that was how life seemed to be going. I knew that words were my friends and I already felt that they would do what I wanted if I asked them.  

No comments:

Post a Comment