Wednesday 11 November 2015

If Wishes Were Horses 11



Today's word count: 1689                       Total word count: 19,599

That night when I arrived home I put the books on the lounge table and went through to the kitchen to make a meal, hoping Dee would stay away.  I’d had just about enough of him already and desperately needed an evening off. I wanted to study the field guide in detail to see if I could find any hint of what kind of creature he was. Until I identified him I couldn’t fight him, so I had to know.  I turned on the TV to catch up with the news while I prepared myself some dinner.  It was little more than background noise really, but I tuned in and out as I heard things of interest. Most of it was political posturing by the various parties and I continued with peeling, chopping and frying until a different kind of report caught my attention. The newsreader said a motorway in Scotland was closed as a result of an accident earlier in the day. Apparently somebody had managed to get onto the road the wrong way and had caused a 30 vehicle pile up by driving in the opposite direction to the rest of the traffic. 

I went cold as I heard the news.  The report went on to say that, miraculously, only one person died and another was in hospital with serious, but not life threatening, injuries.  Everyone else escaped unhurt, but it would take some hours to clear the wreckage.  “Not another death. Why do you keep killing people?” I said out loud and heard a noise behind me. There he was, in his visiting identity, with his hand on a cupboard handle, apparently having just closed the door. As I watched he opened the next one in the row and proceeded to examine its contents. He took various packets and tins from the shelf, turning them around to read the labels before he put them back in their original places. Speechless, I watched him as he continued to investigate my food store. Eventually he broke the silence.

“Not bad. You’ve got the makings of a few decent meals in here. What did you fancy to eat tomorrow?”
“What?” I asked. I had no idea what he was talking about.

He turned to face me and I noticed his outfit kept his chest well covered tonight.  He’d moved on from nineteen seventies gigolo to a more modern dark denim jeans and a simple, high necked white t-shirt. He had a dark blue tweedy kind of jacket over the top and I was forced to admit he looked good in it. It really was a shame I knew that underneath it all he looked exactly like a wizened old monkey. Not to mention the teeth.
“We’re having dinner together tomorrow, remember? You promised. What are you planning to cook?”

I couldn’t speak at first. I’d totally forgotten about the agreement to meet for dinner, and I’d never suspected that I would be cooking it.  Eventually I managed to splutter, “Dinner? You expect me to cook you dinner? I at least thought you’d take me somewhere upmarket for a meal.”

Stupidly, when the agreement was made I truly imagined that we would be at a very expensive place where he could show off. I assumed that money would be no object to him. He could create whatever he wanted, whenever he wished – or if I wished – so there wouldn’t even be a problem with a booking. He wouldn’t be fobbed off with a lack of tables. If he wanted to dine in the best restaurant in town, a table would exist. I thought I might actually benefit from his powers, since I’d been forced to accept the arrangement. I couldn’t bring myself to think of it as a date, though I was convinced that’s how he considered it. He must believe he’d got one over on me. 

“Think, Ange. Have you seen me eat at any point in our relationship?” I hated that word even more than I hated ‘date’. I didn’t want to think of what we had as a relationship. It was too shocking to contemplate.  I shook my head, afraid to say what I thought. 

“Exactly. There’s a reason for that. People don’t like to see me eat. I’ll bring my own food, don’t worry, and if you’re nice I promise not to eat it in front of you.  But if you’re impolite I’ll make you watch. It’ll put you off your own dinner, I promise. Probably put you off breakfast and lunch the following day too.” He smiled and showed off those pointed teeth again.  The thought of them biting into anything turned my stomach. I toyed with the idea of telling him that his presence alone would be enough to put me off eating, then I worried that he could read my thoughts and cringed at the possible backlash, but the books seemed to have enough power at this distance to block him, and nothing happened. 

“Do you even drink?” I asked, genuinely interested in his reply. It might help me to pin down his identity.  “I mean, I’ve never seen you do it, and you turned down the Earl Grey when you were here before. Am I being impolite by not offering you anything?”

That got him. It sounded like I cared about his well being. I didn’t, of course, unless I learned that tea would poison him. 

“I can drink, but I don’t need to, and most of the time I don’t partake.  So don’t worry about being impolite by not offering. That never bothered me. Unless of course you’d like to share a pot of something with me? I can make the effort, if it would please you.”

“Don’t worry. I’m just making food at the moment,” I answered, then silence fell between us as I continued to cook. 

“So what do you think of my trick with your racing driver?”  he said after a while. Are you pleased?”
“Pleased?” I couldn’t help myself. I’m afraid I shrieked at him. “You killed another innocent person whose only sin was to drive too fast. He was an idiot, but he did not deserve to die.”

He looked at me with a strange expression, like he knew a secret that I didn’t. He certainly looked pleased with himself.  When he spoke there was a distinct laugh in his voice.  He obviously believed this was funny for some reason.

“Tell me. Do you think his driving put other road users at risk?”

I had to admit that I thought the guy was dangerous.  “I suppose so,” I agreed disconsolately as I transferred my stir fry onto a plate. 

“Don’t sulk. It’s not befitting. You have to admit that I’m right about something and you don’t like it.”  That made me worse, because the truth hurts. “So if you agree that he’s a danger to himself and others, don’t you think it’s great that he’s the only one injured?”

“But he’s not the only one injured. Someone’s dead and someone else is in hospital, badly hurt.”

“That’s right, he is.”

That confused me. “So who’s the other one?”

“Other who? There’s only him and a lot of bent metal.”

“But someone’s dead and someone was badly hurt.”

“Yes, that’s right.”

This wasn’t getting me anywhere, and I decided to try a different angle. I started with a simple question. “Who’s in hospital?”

“The racing driver is.”

“So who’s dead?” I asked. 

“The racing driver is.”

My mind boiled as I tried to make sense of what he said. “That’s not possible.”

“Oh Ange. Eventually you’ll realise that with me, anything is possible. What did you wish for?”

I started to say that I didn’t wish for anything, but then I realised Dee would say I had, and it would be a waste of time. So I thought hard about what I’d said in the car. 

“I said I hoped he’d meet himself coming the other way.”

“Correct. And that’s precisely what happened – exactly what you wished for.” As I failed to show any sign of comprehension Dee continued.  “He collided with himself. One of him died and the other one of him is now in hospital. You’ll be pleased to know he’s in a lot of pain. He’s also facing some tough legal action because the one that lived is the one that drove the wrong way down the motorway. That’s death by careless driving, or something like that. He could even end up in prison.” I recoiled from his expression of delight.

“You enjoy this, don’t you?” I asked, disgusted that these events had anything at all to do with me. I really wished I could get out of this mess, quickly and cleanly, but that was one wish Dee would be unlikely to grant. 

“Go on, admit it. Secretly you’re pleased about this as well. Would you like me to add a bit of icing on it? I could make his blood results come back positive for alcohol, if you like.”

“No, please don’t. I think you’ve gone far enough on this one already.”

“Please yourself. That’ll leave you one last wish for today, if you’d like one. Anything you fancy from me?”

In my mind I wished for Dee to go and leave me alone forever, but he read that thought and gave me a reproving look.  “Honestly! You just don’t appreciate me. So what are you planning to do this evening? Shall I join you?”

I figured I needed tougher defences for the next stage if he was ever going to leave. Picking up my plate of dinner I started to walk through to the lounge. I placed it next to the books on the table and turned back to face him before I said, “I thought I’d do some reading. “ He winced as if my words had caused him physical pain. Staring directly at the books he took a deep breath before speaking. He tried an insult, but somehow it lacked any force. 

“You are becoming very boring. There had better be no books around tomorrow night.” And he vanished.

No comments:

Post a Comment