Friday 13 November 2015

If Wishes Were Horses 13

Today’s word count:  1721     Total word count:  23,006

By the time I reached home I had almost despaired of finding a solution. Without Ami I had no idea how to continue my research or my fight. I was engrossed in making myself a pot of tea and a sandwich when I remembered that I had promised to have dinner with Dee that evening. What he’d said about his own eating habits did not bode well for the evening. I wondered if I had offended him at all in the last 24 hours because he’d threatened to make me suffer by watching him eat. I didn’t relish the idea.  I had no idea how or why I had agreed to the dinner arrangement. Somehow he had caught me off guard when he, Minty and I were having lunch. Perhaps I had been distracted by trying to protect my friend from his wiles and I lost concentration of a time. I must not, under any circumstances, do the same thing again. I would make sure that I had as many defences as possible in place for tonight before Dee arrived. He’d given no clue what time he would be here, but I had to prepare anyway. Even if he’d given me a time there was no guarantee he’d stick to his promise.

I thought hard about how I could protect myself. I had the books, and I knew they gave me some power against him. I’d seen how scared he became when he came into proximity with them.  So I decided to place them in key points around the room, out of his sight, but where I’d know they sat, giving off their protective glow, or whatever they did. I placed the amulets book on a shelf next to the table, among a few other books so they it would not look out of place. The field guide I put by the television, face down and with its spine facing away from the room.  Only I would know the book’s title, unless Dee chose to pick it up, which I doubted he’d do. He hadn’t needed to touch the books before for them to act as a deterrent, their power seemed to increase as I got nearer to them.

As a back up I wrote the two titles and their authors in the back of my notebook and underneath I added the words “please help”. I thought of it as a kind of spell, but lacked conviction that it would help; maybe only boost my confidence a little. I put the notebook into my handbag and placed it on the sofa, so I could reach it easily if I felt the need to invoke it. Then I set the table as attractively as I could, without making it look too much like a romantic dinner, so Dee would think he was welcome. I dressed in something smart but as unattractive as I could muster, then sat down to wait his arrival.
I didn’t have too long to wait. All at once I looked up and there he stood, by the door, wearing a smart pin-striped suit and a tie with Chinese looking marks on it that echoed the pattern on the pendant. He looked hesitantly around the room before approaching the chair where I sat.
“Not reading tonight Angie darling?” he asked.

“N-n-no,” I stuttered. “I’ve put my books away for this evening.” I tried hard not to look at their locations, but controlling your gaze is difficult. I’d make a lousy spy.

“What’s for dinner?” he said, still sweeping his eyes around the area as if searching for something.
“I-I-I…..” I couldn’t stop myself from stammering.

“What is the matter with you this evening? You’re behaving like a silly schoolgirl. Are you so excited about having dinner with me? Stand up and let me look at you.” I obeyed.

“No. I mean, yes. I’m looking forward to it.” I tried to smile but my lips didn’t seem to obey the instruction.

“Liar. You’re hating every minute of it. And I don’t need to read your mind to know that. Your body language is screaming it.”

“No, no, really. I’m just nervous. I’ve never had dinner with a ….” I ground to a halt.
“With a what?” He looked directly at me and I felt a pain stab between my eyes. I really couldn’t afford to upset him or I knew the pain would become agony.

Blinking, I said, lamely, “With someone who can work magic.”

“The word you’re looking for, my dear, is Fae. I am one of the Hidden Folk. Surely you’d worked that out by now.” 

He turned away and the pain subsided. In spite of the books’ presence my bravado was starting to wane. For some reason his ugly side shone more strongly than his attractive side this evening, and I could sense an increasing fear rising inside me. I couldn’t keep up this fight for long. Unless I was very lucky I would fall victim to him very soon.

“I’ll ask again. What’s for dinner?”

I gulped and took a deep breath before answering.  “I thought I’d cook a pizza.”

“I think we can do better than that. Forget cooking, I’ll take you out.”

I tried to argue, but he turned his glare on me again and the headache came back more strongly.
“First, I want you to wear my pendant.”

“Oh please, I’m starting to get a really bad headache. I don’t think I can do this. Can we have dinner another night?” I tried, but he would not be deterred.

“There are other people I could entertain, you know. Perhaps Araminta is free tonight.”
“No!” I almost screamed.  “I’ll be OK. Just let me….”

“First put on my pendant.” He clicked his fingers and suddenly it hung around my neck, even though I knew I’d put it away in my jewellery box.  “And I think I prefer it as a choker.”

I scraped at my throat as the chain pulled tight, almost cutting off my breathing and Dee laughed, cruelly.  “Too tight? They’re not called chokers for nothing you know. That’s worth remembering.”
He clicked his fingers again and when I looked down my dress had changed into a very revealing, very short, figure hugging style in black.  I caught sight of myself in the mirror and my hair had been thrown up into a kind of elegant roll down the back of my head and there were tiny, diamond studs in my ears.

“That’s better. Can’t be seen around town with anyone in such a dowdy outfit as you chose. I have a reputation to maintain. Come along now.”

I reached for my handbag but he stepped between me and the sofa, effectively blocking my reach.  “You won’t need your bag. Take this,” and he handed me a gift wrapped parcel that appeared from nowhere as his arm reached towards me. “Go on. It’s a present.”

I took the box from him and opened the lid. Inside was the tiniest evening bag I had ever seen, with little room for anything other than a few coins and a lipstick I had no hope of smuggling either of the books out with me for protection. Tonight I was on my own. 

“Now come along. I’ve got us a table somewhere very special.”

I walked dejectedly in front of him towards the door and heard his exasperated voice behind me.
“Oh for crying out loud, does no-one know deportment any more?” I felt the dress tighten around me like a corset, pulling my spine straight and my shoulders back. At the same time it pushed my breasts out in front of me and upwards until I feared I would pop out of my clothes. He pointed towards the door and issued an order. “Walk!”

Easier said than done in the shoes he provided: tiny strappy things with heels almost as long as my feet. I had to balance almost on tiptoe but I took a few tentative steps until we stood outside on the landing.  Then I noticed he was smiling.  “That would be among your worst nightmares, wouldn’t it?” he sneered. “You can’t bear embarrassment at all.” I just looked at him because I daren’t speak. “Don’t pretend you don’t know what I’m talking about. Falling out of your dress, Sweetie. You’d absolutely hate that. I wonder if I should make that happen. Keep walking and behave yourself, or I might just have to expose your flesh to the world.”

Outside he stuck out a hand and a cab pulled up alongside without effort. Of course, it would. He gave the driver the name of one of the most luxurious restaurants in town and although I hated myself for it I had to admit to being impressed. On arrival he told the Maitre’D we had a reservation in the name of Fry, and we were shown to a very good table. Apparently everything had been arranged in advance, because without issuing any orders, our food and wine arrived, efficiently and respectfully, via a team of highly trained waiters. I tried not to drink too much, but every time I paused from eating Dee said “Wine” and my hand seemed to work by itself to carry the glass to my lips.  He drank very little, and ate even less, but the waiters didn’t seem to notice his almost full plates as they carried them away.  Under any other circumstances I would have relished the evening, because the food looked and tasted magnificent and every dish provided an experience beyond anything I had eaten before. But between each course my hand forced the glass to my lips and I couldn’t help swallowing for more wine that I usually drink.

After the dessert Dee lifted is hand in signal to the waiters and they dissolved away, leaving just the two of us. I steeled myself for what was to come. I had no idea what Dee’s plans were for me, but I knew I wouldn’t like them. He looked across the table and stared into my eyes for quite some time before saying, “Hm. I think you’re just about ready. Now let’s see what you really want.” He leaned forward, and I felt my mind tear open as he stepped inside and started rummaging among my memories.





No comments:

Post a Comment