Sunday 22 November 2015

If Wishes Were Horses 22



Today’s word count 1685        Total word count 44,689

A few days later Minty called by my desk.  She had opted for a Princess Leia look and her hair formed two plaited buns over her ears. Continuing the theme, she had pinned it in place with sparkling stars and amazingly had R2D2 shaped earrings. Her creativity never ceased to amaze me.  She gave me a huge smile and said I looked much healthier than she expected. I had almost forgotten the illness inflicted on me. Ever since Ami’s visit I had felt so much better than I had for weeks, months even, ever since the pendant came into my life. In spite of the battle in front of me I felt remarkably optimistic about my future, so I smiled back broadly at Minty. 

“I’m so pleased you’re looking well and happy because there’s something I want to ask you.”
“Oh yes, what’s that then?”

“I wondered if you fancied going out for a drink with me and a friend at the weekend. I’ve seen him a couple of times now and he wants to know more about me. I’d really like you to meet him.”

My heart sank as I remembered the Elf telling me about a new man in Minty’s life and the threats he made about her. I couldn’t bear the idea of my friend having begun an abusive relationship and I couldn’t get the comment about bruises out of my mind. 

“What do you know about him? This seems to have happened very quickly. How did you meet? Tell me more.”
“Honestly Angela you sound like my mother! I wasn’t sure at first if I was going to see him again, but he asked me and after I thought about it for a while I decided to go for it. He is very good looking and I have to admit he’s fascinating to talk to. I don’t think it’s serious, but it might be fun. Please come out with us.”
She seemed so eager for me to meet him that it would have been churlish to refuse. I’d been able to forget my worries for a couple of days but here they were heading straight for me again. I needed to see this man and decide whether he genuinely was a threat or if what was said was just designed to worry me. I agreed to meet up with them the following Saturday. But a worrying thought struck me after I’d said yes.
“You’re not going to set up a blind date for me with a friend of his, are you? I’ve been having a few problems just lately and I don’t really want to be bothered with a new relationship.”
She laughed merrily and shook her head. “I hadn’t even considered it!  If you want me to ask him to bring someone along I can do, but I’m really asking because I want the two of you to meet. I want to know what you think of him.”
“I really don’t want you to bring anyone along for me,” I’d have enough to worry about protecting her. “Are you just looking for my approval, because you can see anyone you like as long as he’s good for you.”
“You warned me off Sir Galahad.”
“That was different. I knew he wasn’t a nice person and he would have hurt you. He’d hurt anyone he was with.  I’ll reserve judgement on your new man until I meet him.”
“That’s all I’m asking. You are amazing and I know you care about my welfare. That’s one of the reasons I want you to meet Dan. I value your opinion.” She had a strange expression on her face and I wondered whether he had already shown signs of being violent. I hoped she would have more sense than to stay with a man who hit her, but if she had been charmed by the Artimisia she might not be able to resist.
During the day Will came over to see me and brought me a small book, which he placed shyly on the edge of my desk. “I thought you might be interested in this. It’s pretty old, but the facts haven’t changed very much.  Don’t worry about getting it back to me too quickly.” And he left it with me. When I looked down I saw the title: it was called The Starling, and it made me smile, almost as if I’d had a sign from Ami that Minty would be alright. It also gave me confidence to face the challenge, which I was sure would come soon.
I wasn’t wrong. Shortly after I arrived home I turned around to see my enemy standing in the middle of the lounge. For once his arrival did not fill me with dread. I remembered Ami’s advice. Stay calm and concentrate on finding a name somewhere on the creature’s body. I had no idea what to look for. What kind of name would suit an Artimis? I’d heard Ami pronounce his own name and knew I wouldn’t even have recognised it as a word, let alone a name. What would I do if the name I sought was just a sound? How would it be represented on the body, and where? But I determined to continue looking as carefully as I could.
Of course I wore the starling necklace Ami had given me and I stood absorbing the strength it gave me as I looked the creature directly in the eyes in silence.  It looked silently back and we stood for some time, locked in a contest to see who would look away first. I tried not to look too triumphant when the beast turned his back and strolled nonchalantly to the table.
“You’ve been busy lately,” it said, without turning back to face me.
“I’ve been ill, if you remember. You made me sick to keep me from work.”
“But you went to the office today.”  I made an unassuming noise as I studied the creature’s back carefully. It was difficult to divide my attention between concentrating on finding the name and not falling into any verbal traps the creature might set for me.  I had to pay attention to what it said, but give only considered or non-committal replies or I might find myself wishing unintentionally.  It was tough and I found myself subconsciously playing with the enamelled starling at my throat. The creature noticed and I felt its eyes burning on my neck.
“What’s that piece of trash?” it said scornfully.  I decided not to speak so I wouldn’t say the wrong thing. I simply shrugged my shoulders. “You choose to wear that rather than my pendant? Fetch my pendant immediately!”
I took a deep breath before I spoke and reviewed what I planned to say. I considered telling it I lost it, but I realised it would detect a lie.  So I settled on, “I can’t.”
It glared at me. “Do as you’re told. I won’t tolerate this behaviour!”
“I can’t,” I repeated. “I don’t have it any more.”
By now its temper was growing, I could tell, and I steeled myself for whatever spell it would cast on me. “You dare to defy me? Fetch it now.”
I continued to stare into its eyes as I spoke. “I can’t fetch it. It’s no longer here. I don’t know where it is.”
“You’re lying,” it was almost a hiss. “You cannot hide it.” And it clicked its fingers then held out a palm as if expecting something to appear there, but nothing happened. It clicked its fingers again, then twice more, staring at its hand in disbelief.  “What did you do?” it screamed.
“I gave it away. It’s gone. I didn’t want it any more and a friend asked me for it. You can’t bring it back.”
It stared angrily at my throat and turned a pointing finger toward me. “Then you shall not wear that trinket either!” A surge of power pushed towards me but I found I could withstand it, and I felt a warmth spread through the chain around my neck.  Was that the phoenix at work, I wondered. Knowing I had a protector near at hand gave me more strength.
“You must go now. You can’t get the old necklace back and I don’t want you here today. Leave me alone.”
“Do you believe you can overcome my powers? Do not be deceived. I have yet to turn my full force against you. Do not challenge me further or you will face punishments you cannot imagine.”
I was scared, I don’t mind admitting, but I could still feel the phoenix’s heat around my neck and somehow I knew it was an empty threat.  I pulled myself up as tall as I could manage and spoke quietly in contrast to the creature’s growing anger.
“You’re bluffing.” And I had the joy of seeing it flinch.
“You will regret your actions today. I have alternative ways to inflict pain,” it said, and disappeared.
I hadn’t realised that I’d been holding my breath and I let out a huge sigh as I collapsed onto the sofa.
“You did well,” a voice said from behind me. I turned quickly to see who spoke, and saw a shimmering red gold haze but could distinguish no shape. I thought it must be the phoenix. “I regret I cannot show you my shape but I wish to reassure you that I will be here in time of need. You are blessed by the Asterling and therefore I am bound to assist you. But your courage and faith tonight would have earned my support by themselves. It is an honour to serve you.”
“Thank you,” I couldn’t think of anything else to say and I was too exhausted by the fight.
“Be assured you may sleep safely tonight. I will allow no harm to approach you. The Artimis will not return while I am here. You will need all your strength in the days to come but I shall fight on your side.”
Then the glow faded, but my necklace still offered its warm comfort.

No comments:

Post a Comment