Saturday 7 November 2015

If Wishes Were Horses 7



Today’s word count:1767      Total word count: 12,660

Having exhausted the volumes I’d found, I was on the point of packing up to go when a gentle voice beside me said: “I’m sorry to interrupt you but I thought these might be useful,“ and a hand slid two books along the table towards my elbow. Surprised, I looked up into one of the kindest faces I had ever seen. He was quite short, and very thin, with a rather long face, topped with dark, curly hair that sparkled with a multi-coloured iridescence under the reading lights. I have heard the expression ‘olive skinned’ before but I had never seen anyone I would have described that way. This face, however, had a distinct greenish tinge, like a leafy forest in deep summer. In spite of that he was very attractive, in fact I would call him beautiful. Handsome didn’t suit him at all, but I could hardly take my eyes off him. His smile was warm and made me feel as if I had just slid under a soft, comfortable blanket. His gentle voice increased the illusion and the overwhelming sensation I had was of safety. I felt I could trust this person totally. The badge on the waistcoat of his library uniform said his name was Ami. 

“Are you sure these are for me?” I said, pointing at the books, but not taking much notice of the titles; too engrossed in looking into the man’s gorgeous face.

“Oh yes, they are for you. I chose them particularly. I noticed what you were studying and I thought you might find these more informative. They are a little obscure, so you were unlikely to have found them by yourself.”

I tore my eyes away from Ami’s and looked down at the books for the first time.  I saw a pair of paperbacks of a fairly routine size, although they both looked quite thick, compared with an average novel. Neither  gave much sign of having been read many times. No surprise there. You’d have to be pretty desperate to pick up the top one. In spite of looking newly printed, its cover had the design of some ancient woodcut, topped with an image of a strange looking beast with two heads and wearing a crown around one of its necks. Below that, in very spiky writing I read the title: “Ye rite and proper use of charmes and amulettes for ye protection of ye soule (With sundrie annotations on ye lesser familiar threttes) By Professore V Sturnus”.  At first I thought it might be a prop from some children’s film about magic and wizards. If its contents proved as difficult to read as its title page I would be in for a hard time interpreting the information, even if my future depended on what it said.  The book did appear to cover a handy kind of topic, but that bit about protecting my soul worried me slightly, I have to admit.  

“Not exactly popular, is it?” I asked Ami, but he just smiled and nodded as if to give me encouragement, so I moved Prof Sturnus to one side and took a look at volume two. The cover seemed remarkably similar, as if both formed part of a series, perhaps, or had the same author, but the second one claimed its writer as A Hildebrandt, and its design seemed less ancient, although far from modern. Its title proclaimed it to be a handbook of ‘Identificayshun Markes’ required to categorise ‘Elves Bothe Darke and Lighte as welle as ye Lesser Crawling Creatures’. 

 “Why did you bring me these?  I didn’t ask for anything.”

“No indeed, you did not ask directly, but I observed your note taking and the subject you studied. These books belong to a related class and could reveal the secrets you are looking for.”

His speech came out very slightly stilted and his voice grated more harshly than I expected from his appearance, as if he had a cold and his throat was sore. He didn’t have any other signs of a virus, however, and his eyes were so clear that it was impossible to imagine he had any illness. 

“You were watching me?” I hoped he’d say yes, because that would have been very flattering, but my dream was quickly shattered. 

“Not watching. Just observing to anticipate your requirements. That is a librarian’s job. I saw your notebook and formed the opinion that you would find these tomes enlightening.”

“They seem to have very old designs and yet they are hardly touched. I’d swear that nobody has ever even opened the Dark and Light Elves one.”  

“Mayhap that is true.  Their content is indeed ancient and yet you hold modern copies of learned works.  Feel free to peruse them at your leisure. I can arrange a long term loan if such would aid you.”

This little librarian had a lot in common with his books. His exterior appeared modern, but his speech, attitude and eyes gave an impression of a much earlier time. He didn’t have loads of wrinkles or anything, just that when you looked at his eyes you had the feeling of a great wisdom behind them not normally found in a thirty something. Maybe the colour confused me, they were the darkest eyes I have ever seen, with glints like distant stars shining in their depths. 

“Thank you. I’ll see if I need to keep them after today.”

He walked away, disappearing behind one of the tall shelves, and I settled down with the books he had brought. They sure made fascinating reading once you got used to the ‘olde english’ style.  If I’d read it a few weeks before I’d have dismissed it all as nonsense but I now knew that magical creatures such as those described in the pages of the Hildebrandt text actually exist. At least, some of them do, but I had trouble picking out my offender from the seemingly endless list described I its pages. The subjects had no obvious order. Each one had a name at the top of the page and then text below that described habitat, clothing, which class each beast belonged to, size, habits, in some cases preferred foods, and the type of prank or blessing it issued to its quarry. And as the title suggested, most had ‘Identificayshun Markes’ that would help pin down its exact species.  The entries were arranged haphazardly, however. No sign of alphabetical order, grouping by any appearance classification, ranking, threat severity, nothing. And to top everything, my nemesis was a shape changer, so I would have to be very lucky to use this field guide to be exactly sure of who or what I faced. 

I learned a great deal that afternoon about boggarts and grims, red caps and hobgoblins, elfkin, sirens, hey-hey men, and all manner of other kinds of little people. I noted with relief that not all fell into the category of dark elves, and that a few existed apparently to help mortals like me overcome the bad magics. “If only I could find one of those,” I wished, but I suspected that my sprite would not prioritise granting it. I also learned lots of ways of describing the Fair Folk, as they like to be called, in a polite fashion to avoid offending them, and of likely reactions if I forgot my manners.  What I did not learn was the nature of my problem.  I soon realised the hundreds of pages would take days to read properly. 

Professor Sturnus’s book turned out even more interesting that the first volume. It even had pictures, but the whole document had the appearance of a medieval manuscript; one of those illuminated scrolls or parchments with highly decorative letters at the start of new sections, and occasional words printed in gold. I had no idea whether that meant they were important words, the equivalent of underlining or bold type, of if the writers simply felt the colour added to the overall design.  The start of the book detailed all manner of objects that can be used to defend against bad spells cast by the dark elves. I noticed quickly that the two tomes shared a common vocabulary, and I found myself using the terms easily and quickly as soon as I understood their meaning. I figured out my sprite belonged to the dark clan because a light elf would never have allowed my wish to cause harm to another person, even if I wanted the person hurt, which, of course, I had never intended. If you want to curse someone, call for a dark elf; though I wouldn’t recommend it, knowing what I know now! You really must be careful what you wish for. 

The last chapters of Professor Sturnus described some lesser known members of the dark elf clan and I noticed similarities with some of the details in the Hildebrandt. None of the names matched, however, so I started to suspect that I would need to handle the information from the books with care. I would have to look for matching details and compare both volumes to ensure I had all the relevant information. I decided to take Ami up on the offer of a long term loan and gathered up my things to go and find him. 

He stood near the desk and rushed over to greet me as I approached. “Were they helpful?” he asked.

“Oh yes, thank you so much. But I think I’ll need to take them home and keep hold of them for a while, if that’s OK?”

“With pleasure. The long loan is a simple process, we just ask for a donation to charity.”

“That’s unusual. I’ve never had to do that before,” I said, ”But what a nice idea. Do you have a collecting box, or something?”

He nodded towards a plastic pot at the end of the desk and I slid a note into the slot on the top. I didn’t want to look cheap in front of this lovely man.

“How generous of you,” he said. “That will easily cover the loan.”

“How long can I keep them?”

“For as long as you need them. We will contact you when another reader has need of them.” And he flashed another of his wonderful smiles. 

“Don’t you need to stamp them or something?” I asked, as the nature of this unusual transaction began to sink in. 

“That will not be necessary. We know you have them. Good luck with your research.” And with that he walked away towards the children’s section and left me.




No comments:

Post a Comment